Rule 2.038– Prepalletized Cargo
Publication Date: 12/31/2003
Effective Date: 12/31/03
Amendment Code: R
Special Use Number:
|Request #: SUSPAS71|
as otherwise provided in this rule, the general rule and conditions set forth in
this tariff are applicable to pre-palletized cargo.
Dock receipts and Bills of Lading will acknowledge receipt of a given number of pallets.
Pre-palletized cargo shall consist of packaged cargo that has been securely affixed both top and bottom and covering the surface of
prior to delivery to the Carrier's Terminal.
pallets must conform to the following regulations:
1. Unless otherwise provided for in individual tariff items, the maximium acceptable pallet dimensions are 48" x 40". (R)
2. Suitable for handling by mechanical equipment. (Pallet shall consist of
a flat double-faced portable platform of
sufficient construction and strength to sustain the load placed there on, and to
be suitable for mechanical
handling. Carrier determination of
ability to mechanically manipulate shall be conclusive.
3. Gross weight of the cargo/pallet shall not be greater than 1,500 lbs. per pallet. The Family Islands maximum gross weight shall
be 4,000 pounds.
4. All surfaces must be reasonably flat, top surface reasonably level as
well squared on all four sides to resemble
a smooth block, so block stowage can be accomplished.
5. Cargo placed on pallets by Carrier will be charged for actual gross
weight or measurement of the cargo, not
including weight or measurement of the pallets themselves, at the applicable rate(s) provided in this tariff.
6. Cargo received by Carrier from Shippers/Suppliers shrink-wrapped and
palletized will be charged for actual
gross weight or measurement including W/M of the pallets themselves, unless
shrink-wrapped pallets are
broken down for shipping.
7. The unit load must be of sufficient strength for handling and movement during loading and discharging to protect the cargo when
stowed with other cargo during the voyage and to permit stacking three pallets high without distortion or damage.